We are on the look out for larger premises and/or storage facilities. If you are able to help, please fill in the contact form here.
- St John’s Anglican Auxiliary Portarlington (Cash $300 December 30th)
- Sunshine Wesleyan Methodist Church (Cash $200 January 4th)
- Glen Waverley Uniting Church (Food/Clothing January 4th)
- St Barnabas’ Anglican Church Glen Waverley (Food January 5th)
- Waverley Baptist Church (Cash $600 January 5th)
- St Michael/St Luke’s Anglican Church Dandenong (Food/Clothes January 6th)
- St George’s Anglican Church Red Hill (Food/Clothes/Electrical Goods January 6th)
- St Stephen/St Mary’s Anglican Church Mt Waverley (Food/Toiletries January 7th)
THANK YOU FOR YOUR ENCOURAGEMENT & PRACTICAL SUPPORT. IT IS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!!
140 Tertiary/Secondary Students have Undertaken Tertiary Placements/Work Experience at the Centre. Students have come from the following areas:
- Universities/T.A.F.E.’s (53)
- International Colleges (39)
- Secondary Colleges (27)
- Other Institutions (19)
- Bible Colleges (2).
They have studied Community Services/Development, Disability, Drug & Alcohol Rehabilitation, Psychology, Social Welfare, Theology and Youth Work.
- 10,707 Sheets
- 6,673 Towels
- 1,855 Doona Covers
- 6,558 Blankets/Doonas/Sleeping Bags
- 8,315 Jumpers
- 9,010 Pairs Shoes
- 7,547 Scarves/Beanies
- 5,862 Pairs New Underclothes
- 3,146 Pairs New Sock,
- 31 Washing Machines
- 45 Fridges
82,873 Foodpacks @ $15 each Total Value $1,243,085.00
($223,990.91 used to supplement donations of food vouchers, food and toiletries)
Over the years a number of supporters have opted to make Direct Debit Contributions to the Centre. The Centre now receives $430/month in this way. In 2014, 36 very generous Supporters and Churches have contributed individual amounts in excess of $500. This equates to a total of $45,737.95 this year.
Wow! We knew there was a huge interest in asylum seekers in Australia but even we didn’t anticipate the great need and desire people have to learn more.
The only Sundays David Spitteler has available for speaking engagements for the rest of 2013 are: November 17 and December 1, 8, 22 and 29 .
The Asylum Seekers Centre was recently featured in an ABC News update about the growing population of asylum seekers in Australia. To watch the eight minute featurette, visit the link below
In our January update we reported that since February 6th 1997, the Centre has applied $460,736.19 from cash donations to assist 1,704 Asylum Seekers in the provision of foodpacks, Metcards, Bibles, clothes, Christmas hampers and much more.
The Asylum Seeker Centre is 100% volunteer operated. There is no paid staff, no committees, no budgets, and no regular source of funding. So it is with much thanks that we acknowledge those who have given of their time, talent, and treasure over these past 16 years. We couldn’t do it without you.
“Every man shall give as he is able, according to the blessing of the Lord your God that he has given you.” Deuteronomy 16:17